Sunday, August 2, 2009

Holy Cats, I'm Back!!!

It's been soooooo long since I've written anything on this blog. A year and a half, to be exact.

I can't believe that after all of that time, weight is still an issue for me. Sigh*

I've had a major awakening in the last little while. One that's made me realize that I have a lot at stake that depends on my self-confidence, happiness and overall physical and mental wellness. Insecurity and depression were overwhelming me. It was time to do something about it.

I know I've embarked on one weight-loss journey after another, but as I told my son recently, I don't feel like I've given up on any one of them. It's really one big journey. I've started out, turned back, started out again... and I'll keep doing so until I get to my destination. This time, I'd met some scary things on the road and I just feel like pressing on to put them behind me, rather than turn back and have to face them again.

Having said all of that, I've been pressing on for about two weeks now and have lost 9.5 pounds. I've gone back to creating all kinds of goals - long-term, monthly, weekly and daily. I've found this method immensely helpful in the past. I'm results-oriented, which is why I fall off the wagon if I don't 'see' results. If I have goals - i.e. eat certain things today, or get my workout in, and if I track my progress and see gains in my running time or distance, it reassures me that I'm making progress, even if I can't yet see it in the mirror.

I'm training for the 5 km CIBC Run for the Cure in support of breast cancer research. The run is on October 4, 2009.

I'm currently running for 2 mins at 6 mph, with a 2 min walk at 3.5 mph recovery period. I repeat the run/walk f0r 30 mins, which is around 2.41 miles for me right now. I have a long way to go, but I'm going!

Every day has some sort of exercise in it for me now. It's no longer an option for me to be complacent. I am 'training' for six days a week, but am committing to a long walk, or swimming - some sort of activity - on my day off.

Long term goals include participating in some sort of adventure racing next year - maybe a "Raid the North" race.

No comments: